Recognizing Unsafe Conditions
Recognizing unsafe conditions, or hazards in the workplace, is not just a Safety Committee responsibility. It is everyone’s responsibility from the most junior employee to the company president to identify hazards and make suggestions on how to fix the problem.
Guide for Discussion
Causes of unsafe conditions or actions:
- Poor housekeeping. Horseplay.
- Confused material storage.
- Careless handling of materials.
- Improper or defective tools
- Lack of machine guarding; failure to install warning systems.
- Lack of or failure to wear proper personal protection equipment. Weather.
- Worker not dressing for the job to be done.
- Failure to follow instructions.
Steps to take once an unsafe condition is found:
- If possible, correct the condition yourself immediately.
- Report any major unsafe condition or action to the appropriate company authority.
- Follow-up – report the condition again if it is not corrected.